Pediatric Neuropsychology Clinic|
Pediatric Neuropsychology is a field of study involving the relationship of abilities, behavior and cognitive functions in children. Pediatric neuropsychology involves the application of this field to diagnostic assessment and clinical treatment of normal and abnormal child development, medical, psychiatric, and neurological conditions or problems. The field shares knowledge base with other professions. Our staff work with other pediatric specialist in behavior neurology, developmental pediatrics, pediatric neurology, child psychiatry, pediatricians, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, teachers, and special education teachers. The Clinical Staff at Marin Neuropsychology Center has training and experience in applying neuropsychological assessment or treatment strategies to children. Since children mature, we are faced with varying age-specific challenges in terms of their academic and social development. Far more than a simple downward extension of adult neuropsychology, our approach involves an understanding of normal and abnormal child development and learning, developmental motor skills, and language disorders as well as diseases associated with children.
Marin Neuropsychology is dedicated to helping parents and educators bring out the potential of each child by understanding their strengths, challenges, behavioral and learning differences. By understanding your child's unique strengths and needs, we can help create treatment plans and coordinate services across providers to help maximize learning and daily functioning at home, in school, and in the community. We work as a team, with the family, school, and service providers to maximize each child's potential.
We offer services to:
- Preschool-Aged (3 years and older)
- School-Aged (Kindergarten to 12th grade)
- Extended School-Aged (18 to 22 years of age)
- College Students
- English and Spanish Services
Our Model for Clinical Practice:
- Utilize a comprehensive assessment protocol incorporating semi-structured clinical interview, examination of academic records, and administration of behavioral rating scales, neuropsychological and neurophysiological measures to assist with the diagnosis and to promote initiation and maintenance of treatment.
- Explain the neuropsychological foundations of cognitive dysfunction and common functional problems that are associated with childhood disorders.
- Conduct a functional assessment in order to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that addresses those areas of impairment.
- Provide parenting and social skills psychoeducational consultation.
- Assist in the development and implementation of Accommodation and Individual Education Plans for students with neurological disorders and learning problems.
- Explain the rational for treatment, as well as, specific empirically supported treatment to improve cognitive dysfunction and behavioral control.
- Participate in Student Study Team (SST) and Individual Education Plans (IEP) meetings to facilitate the understanding of the problem and the treatment recommendations.
Reasons for conducting a pediatric neuropsychological examination
When a child is struggling at school, at home, and/or in the community with attending, learning new skills, growing academically, interacting with peers and/or adults, regulating behavior and emotions, a neuropsychological examination could help:
- To understand why a child is having difficulties in school, experiencing emotional difficulties, or behaving innapropriately.
- To determine a child's strengths and weakness and style of learning so that appropriate compensatory strategies, remedial and therapeutic interventions, and placement can be chosen.
- To clarify diagnoses
- To determine eligibility for accommodations, modifications and services.
- To determine effect on functioning of a disease or injury.
- To monitor progress resulting from interventions.
- To document change since previous evaluation.
Our Pediatric Neuropsychology services include:
- Neuropsychological Assessment
- Psychoeducational Assessment
- Psychological Assessment
- Preschool Developmental Assessment
- Preschool Diagnostic Screening
- Differential Diagnosis
- Independent Educational Evaluations (IEEs)
- Test Accomodations Evaluations
- Learning Disability and Dyslexia Assessment
- Attention Deficit Disorder Assessment
- Autism/Asperger's/Non-Verbal Disability Diagnosis
- Behavioral Assessment/Functional Analysis
Who can benefit from Marin Neuropsychological Center Pediatric Clinic
Pediatric Neuropsychologists at Marin Neuropsychology Center have a specialized training in the evaluation and treatment of children with a history (or suspected history) of many disorders and syndromes including:
Other neurological conditions affecting a child's ability to succeed academically and socially.
- Attention Deficit Diroder (ADD/ADHD)
- Learning Disabilties/Dyslexia
- Non-verbal learning disabilities
- Auditory and Visual processing disorder
- Autistic-Asperger's spectrum disorders
- Speech and language disorders
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Psychiatric Disorders
- Behavior disorders
- Developmental delays and mental retardation
- Seizure disorders (epilepsy)
- Tumors of the brain
- Tourette's syndrome
For questions or further information regarding our Pediatric Neuropsychology Clinic, please do not hesitate to contact us at 415-457-3451.